Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Finds: Fighting Social Injustice to Make a Better World

Meet Kate from OnBehalfOf located in Saint Louis, Missouri. She has such a big heart for other people that are hurting and suffering, and helping others to see the world that is beyond themselves.

Since our world system has enabled a small percent of us to live richly, lacking nothing, while the majority of beautiful people lack even the basic necessities in life, she regrets and is sorry that she is part of the priveleged minority and does what she help to change this injustice for other people.

Her heart and the aim of her life is to do what she can in fighting this injustice, and helping those in this society to see that. She says "Now that I have seen, I am responsible. I believe in possibility. I believe in God's providence. He knows my heart because He made it that way. And He's done so much already. I'm a small girl, but I am pretty determined that not everything about me will be small."

Ninety percent of the proceeds from each item in her shop go to provide clean water in developing countries, free modern day slaves, care for orphans, or provide medical help to those with HIV. Kate says, "I do, however believe in using beauty to fight back against the ugliness in our world, and fighting back against forces of injustice with acts of selfless love. Please wear or display my art on behalf of hope, and on behalf of the people who will receive it through the proceeds of this shop."

Programs your purchases from her shop go to support:

I had a chance to ask Kate a few more questions about her and her shop, and here are her answers:

How did you choose your shop name?
I chose the name On Behalf Of because the proceeds that I make work on behalf of those in need around the world.

What does a typical day look like for you?
During the school year, I wake up at five in the morning, go to work at an elementary school from 6-9, then go to college from 9-2, then back to work from 3-6. It always feels like I'm running from start to finish!

What's your favorite season of the year and why?
Definitely summer. I'm originally from LA, so I need to be in the sun as much as possible. In Missouri, this doesn't happen very much...

You can also find Kate on one of her two blogs: artonbehalfof.blogspot.com and ktgresh.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

  1. http://msformaldehyde.blogspot.com/2011/06/boosting-etsy-for-cksilver.html
    I blogged about you!

    ReplyDelete