Friday, August 5, 2011

Meet Agnes from BeaderBubbe in Brooklyn, New York. She is a mother of five, grandma of six, and loves crafts.

I had a chance to ask her a few questions about herself. This is what she had to say:

Name one thing that not many people know about you.
It is probably that if I didn’t become a secretary, mom, and wife, I would have liked to pursue a career as a writer. I love reading and writing novels, and a mystery would be on my list of something I would have like to do had I not gone in a different direction with my life. I have no regrets, but it is back there in my mind.

How did you get your start on Etsy?
I always loved doing crafts. Being a stay at home mom I would conjure up ways of keeping five children busy with things to make. It wasn’t until they were all grown that I decided to start making things for myself. I loved to crochet and knot and did a little sewing. I also love jewelry, and when I started making bracelets, and necklaces for myself I got compliments and people asking where I got them from - thereby starting my selling spree. I also made gifts to give before deciding to sell my jewelry. Etsy just made it easier to get my jewelry out there.

How did you choose your shop name?
That’s easy... I love to bead “Beader” and I am a “Bubbe” which is the Yiddish word for grandma, of which I am to 6 beautiful boys and one more on the way.


What does a typical day look like for you?
Well, since I am still working (two years away from retirement) I get up every morning to go to work – but working in a school affords me the perk of having summers off. After work I come home, watch grandchildren, make dinner and somehow spend an hour or two either in my craft room or on the computer. I am hoping to retire and have more time in my craft room.

What's your favorite season of the year and why?
I absolutely love the summer - even the hot weather. I hate the cold and snow. I think the summer affords me the opportunity to get out more, and if it's too hot there is always air conditioning.

What do you consider your best personality trait?
I feel it is the fact that I am “easy going”. I always believe the glass is half full and getting upset over something you can't do anything about is wasteful. I like to enjoy every day to its fullest because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

What was the hardest decision you ever had to make?
Since I am “easy going”, I don’t feel I ever had to make a hard decision. You see, I believe everything happens for a reason, and the decisions you make in life are made for a reason. If I had to pick something, it might be going back to work. You see, I was a stay at home mom of five children and loved it, but as they grew and went on to college... well, one pay check wasn’t enough... But then again, I returned as a school secretary 4 blocks from home and I was available for my children when they weren’t in school. So this worked out for the best.

What's your birthstone? Do you wish you had a different one?
I was born in February – the only good thing about the winter - because I love my birthstone which is amethyst. I have a lovely amethyst ring, surrounded by small diamond chips which I absolutely adore.

You can also find Agnes on her blog, Facebook, and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment